A Sacred Life

A Sacred Life

Sunday, August 26, 2007

RI Beaches

The beaches in RI are so much nicer than the one we have here. I live five minutes, maybe ten, from the beach in Rye, but rarely go. If I do, it's usually off season so I don't have to pay to park. I like beaches when there are few people, when the sun is setting and you can hear the waves.
In RI, you can walk pretty far along the edge of the water. Here, you cannot without running into a fence, a fence to divide the haves from the have-nots. Shame.
The beaches are a lot cleaner in RI. On the beach we found in Galilee, there were no garbage pails. That meant, if you take it in, you take it out. Here, you will find garbage all over the beach, pails filled to over flowing on a busy day. A pail within 5 feet and someone will just leave their garbage. Shame.
It's why I like the off season- cleaner, quieter.
I like that I have access to water even though I am not a water person. I don't swim. But I seem to need it and am drawn to it lately. I'm more comfortable by the Esopus, lying on a rock, feet dangling. The ocean scares me - too powerful. I like to be the observer and watch it, rather than participate with it. Walking along the edge, I could feel it's strength pulling me. I want some of that power, that strength but I am respectful of it and take it in small doses.

No comments: