A Sacred Life

A Sacred Life

Monday, May 19, 2008

Vicunas




Traveling towards the canyon, we passed through a protected area. Here, Vicunas roam. In the heirarchy of these cameloids, they are high on the totem pole. Sheep, llama, alpacha and vicuna. Vicuna wool is most expensive. They are a protected species and only shorn about every 2 or 3 years. Cute too.
The area is surrounded by vocanos and mountains. We are high up and passing one area, aprox. 16,000 ft. we stopped the van to get out. Yes, another area where the locals were selling their handicrafts. We were warned that if need be, come back to the van if we felt dizzy.
I wish I had a picture to prove this.... but we stepped out of the van and I felt it. I took a look around and saw a woman laid out on the ground. She needed oxygen, I felt a bit woozy and headed back to the van.. I was definitely feeling this.
Mai-Liis? She at 16,000 ft was shopping.... but she too soon returned after realizing how difficult it was to figure how how to pay the person she was interacting with.
Water. Coca leaf.
We continued on our journey.............

No comments: