A Sacred Life

A Sacred Life

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Arriving.

The bus ride up to Machu Picchu was beautiful, but also a bit nerve-wracking if you are afraid of heights. Especially when another bus was coming in the opposite direction and the driver had to move to the side of the road which I could see as being a bit too close for comfort! Yikes!
We had arrived! Looking at pictures is one thing, but being there is something I will not be able to share with words nor pictures. This is an experience one must be there for.
On our first day, we were amidst MANY tour groups and sometimes would stop to listen and other times move past them.
We went straight up the first day and it tested us. We were advised to take it slow and we did, moving to the side, when we needed a break to let the beating of our hearts slow and catch our breath. It was also an opportunity to listen in. One guide that I liked talked about the mountains and the respect for the land. Each morning an offering was given to Pachamama, mother earth as she is called here. The names of the mountains were said, followed by breathing, blowing across the water bottle he held. Turning in each direction and then pouring the water onto Pachamama. I followed his direction and gave Pachamama, our beautiful mother earth, my gratitude and blessing with my water.
Moving on, the sights filled me up with such deep gratitude for being here.
I am so blessed.


No comments: